Here’s my quick first impressions on some of the Spring 2010 series.
In this entry: (1) Arakawa Under the Bridge (2) Giant Killing (3) Heroman (4) Kaichou wa Maid-sama! (5) Ookiku Furikabutte ~Natsu no Taikai-hen~ (6) Sarai-ya no Goyou (7) Senkou no Night Raid(8) Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitte Iru (9) Working!!
Cast: Kamiya Hiroshi, Sakamoto Maaya, Saito Chiwa, Sawashiro Miyuki, etc.
- An adaptation of Hikaru Nakamura’s gag comedy manga of the same title.
- Why I checked out this series: (a) Kamiya Hiroshi leading the cast! ♥ One of my favorite seiyuu. He’s good. And I simply love his voice. (b) Nakamura Yuuichi in a supporting role, which is a bonus for me~ ♥ Same reason as (a).
- For me, it kinda seemed to be a Zetsubou Sensei-ish style of series (without the despair or perhaps a different kind of despair?) and this one levels up on the weirdness factor (for instance, a “village chief” dressed up as a kappa and believes himself to be one? Huh?)
- It’s weird, yes. But quite funny. I found myself laughing out loud here and there.
- Watch it? Hmm. I’ll probably watch it every once in a while when the mood strikes me, but it’s unlikely that I’d be following it this season.
Production: Studio DEEN
Cast: Seki Tomokazu, Ono Daisuke, Asano Masumi, Mizushima Takahiro, etc.
Notes: A television anime adaptation of Masaya Tsunamoto and Tsujitomo’s Giant Killing soccer manga.
- Both the OP [My Story ~Mada Minu Ashita e~ by THE CHERRY COKES] and ED [Get Tough! by G.P.S.] sound quite nice.
- Why I checked out this series: I don’t know much about soccer and I’m not a big fan, but I like sports…
- … And this turned out to be an enjoyable watch. I really liked the first episode. The story is pretty good. I also liked the lead character, Tatsumi. By episode 3, I couldn’t resist it and started reading the manga. Yeah, I’m such a spoiler spy, I know. xD
- Ono Daisuke in a supporting role. I’m not a huge fan of his, but I do like him. His voice is very nice (loved him as Hosaka in Minami-Ke and Sebastian in Kuroshitsuji), and he fits really well as Gino (Oji~!) with his princely/obnoxious-ish voice mode on.
- Watch it? Yes, please. ^_^
Cast: Komatsu Mikako, Suyama Akio, Cho, Yasumura Makoto, etc.
Notes: Stan Lee (co-creator of the Spider-Man and X-Men comics) planned this new animated series for television with the same BONES studio behind Fullmetal Alchemist and Soul Eater.
- Why I checked out this series: Um, primarily because its OP theme ["Roulette"] is a single by tetsuya of L’Arc~en~Ciel ♥ :3
- The ED theme ["Calling" by FLOW] is a very nice tune, too.
- Oh, and I was also curious how Stan Lee’s collaboration with BONES will turn out.
- It’s an OK series. Typical Stan Lee stuff, I guess. An animated Stan Lee appears in a cameo, too (at least in episode 1, which is the only ep I saw)
- Watch it? Joey is such a nice kid, but I’ll pass. The story doesn’t interest me much.
Also known as Maid Sama!; Class President is a Maid!
Production: J.C. Staff
Cast: Fujimura Ayumi, Okamoto Nobuhiko, Kobayashi Yu, Ueda Kana, Toyosaki Aki, etc.
- Why I checked out this series: Based on the synopsis sounds like it will be a funny and enjoyable series.
- The OP is nothing special. Just your typical upbeat anime song ["My Secret" by Saaya Mizuno]. I think the ED song is way better ["Yokan' by heidi]
- A slice-of-life romantic comedy. This is totally right up my alley~ It made me laugh so much, all the way through episode 4 (the latest ep I saw at the time of this entry)
- Man, Usui is hawt. And he’s extra adorable when he’s looking out for Misaki, who isn’t your typical crybaby, damsel in distress kind of lead girl. She’s strong-willed and tough. Her character reminds me a bit of Kyoko (Skip Beat!) and Haruhi (Ouran HSHC).
- Usui is voiced by Okamoto Nobuhiko. I’m not too familiar with his work, but I love him as Usui. As a result, I checked out his CV and found that he also voiced John Brown (Ghost Hunt) and Layfon (Chrome Shelled Regios) Lol, that made me exclaim “Oh, really?!” Those are the only two series from his CV in which I distinctly remember the character’s voice. I didn’t recognize that from his Usui voice at all. xD
- Watch it? Yeah! Bring on the laughs and the cutesy moments!
Second season. Also known as Oofuri; Big Windup!: Summer Tournament Chapter
Production: A-1 Pictures Inc.
Cast: Yonaga Tsubasa, Nakamura Yuuichi, Fukuyama Jun, Shimono Hiro, Taniyama Kishō, etc.
- I like the OP ["Natsuzora" by Galileo Galilei] much more than the ED ["Shisou Densha" by CureaL] son, but they’re both nice.
- Quoting from my Spring 2010 preview list:
I’ve seen the first season and I simply love this series to bits~ ♥ ^_^ It’s one of my favorite mangas too. This calls for another re-watch and re-read before season 2 airs. I’m looking forward to see the characters back in their animated glory once again.
- Strong cast of seiyuu and I love the characters. Baseball, teamwork, friendship, and loads of funny moments. I also love the monologues. Abe Takaya is probably my favorite of all the anime characters that Nakamura Yuuichi had voiced so far~ Yonaga Tsubasa as Mihashi and Shimono Hiro as Tajima were perfectly cast too, IMHO. Heck, I think the entire cast did a great job. But hey, I may be too biased about this. Why don’t you just go ahead and check it out yourself? ;P
- Watch it? Absolutely~
Also known as House of Five Leaves
Production: Manglobe Inc.
Cast: Namikawa Daisuke, Sakurai Takahiro, Takahashi Ao, Kinoshita Hiroyuki, etc.
- Nice upbeat OP ["Sign of Love" by immi] and the background art shown throughout the OP sequence is just beautiful. The ED ["all I need is..." by Rake] is a nice pop song, too. I think like it better than the OP.
- Beautiful background art, really. I’m not fond of the character design and the all-black-colored eyes creep me out a bit, but I could deal with it enough to get me through episode 1.
- The white-haired dude reminds me of the lead guy from Mushishi. And speaking of Mushishi, I’m still stuck on episode 3 or 4 of that series. ^^;;
- So it seems the “Five Leaves” is a Robin Hood type group of bandits/kidnappers.
- I’m not too familiar with Sakurai Takahiro‘s seiyuu work because I haven’t seen most of the series that he had been in. I’ve only taken notice of him since I heard him as Meme in Bakemonogatari and Azuma Yuuhei in Cross Game. His voice is really nice~
- Watch it? Hmm. I might check out an episode or two more, but I doubt I’d be following this one.
Production: A-1 Pictures, Inc.
Cast: Namikawa Daisuke, Yoshino Hiroyuki, Hoshino Takanori, Ikuta Yoshiko, etc.
- Why I checked out this series: The synopsis sounds interesting, animation looks good, and it has spies in it.
- Both the OP ["Yakusoku" by MUCC] and ED ["To the Future..." by HIMEKA] sound OK to me.
- The animation is pretty good, coming from A-1. The character design is quite nice too.
- It was kinda cool to hear the characters speak Chinese. I can’t speak Chinese, though so no comment on that. I think it’s a tough language to learn though, so I’ll give them an “A” for effort! ^_^
- I almost fell asleep halfway through, but then the action started and the hand-to-hand combat scenes were pretty cool~ Teleport guy is awesome.
- Watch it? I don’t think so, but I might watch a couple more episodes if I remember to do so.
Also known as Betrayal Knows my Name; Uraboku
Production: J.C. Staff
Cast: Sakurai Takahiro, Hoshi Souichiro, Ishida Akira, Ono Daisuke, Fukuyama Jun, Miyano Mamoru, Inoue Marina, etc.
- Long title is bloody long :O Thank goodness for ctrl+c and ctrl+v! No wonder it’s shortened to “UraBoku”
- Why I checked out this series: The premise kinda sounds interesting and it has a strong line up of seiyuu. Three of my favorites: Fukuyama Jun, Kamiya Hiroshi, and Hamada Kenji~ ♥ Plus, Sakurai Takahiro, Ono Daisuke, Mamoru Miyano, and Inoue Marina being part of the cast is an added bonus.
- Animation is OK. Characters are mostly bishounens, albeit pointy chins (those didn’t bother me much though, I was too busy trying to identify who’s voicing who xD)
- I didn’t get much of the story other than the lead guy (who seems to have been a girl in a previous life or alternate universe or something?) has the power to feel/have a glimpse of other people’s pain, there’s some omniscient-ish being who wants the lead guy dead, and there are bishounens (and a bishoujo) who are out to protect him (or something like that).
- It kinda reminded me of the series 07-Ghost. They’re both filled with bishounens with supernatural abilities and leads with emo backgrounds. But UraBoku has a more serious tone and 07-Ghost is not BL.
- Watch it? I don’t think I heard all the voices I was looking forward to hear in the 1st episode, so I’ll probably watch a couple more episodes for that simple-minded reason when I feel like watching it. 8D Wiki says it’s an adaptation of a BL manga… and that genre is not my cup of tea. If the anime will go in that direction, then no thanks.
Production: A-1 Pictures, Inc.
Cast: Fukuyama Jun, Asumi Kana, Ono Daisuke, Kamiya Hiroshi, Kitamura Eri, etc.
- Hmm. I just noticed this is the 3rd A1-Pictures production in this list. They’re active this season! 8D
- Why I checked out this series: The premise sounds interesting and I like slice-of-life comedies, plus Fukuyama Jun, Kamiya Hiroshi and Ono Daisuke are in it~ ♥ :3 (I think it would’ve been perfect if Nakamura Yuuichi was in it too… Oh wait, that’d be Durarara!! xD ;P)
- OP and ED are both character songs. Fun OP theme ["SOMEONE ELSE" by Kana Asumi, Saki Fujita and Eri Kitamura], but I prefer the ED ["Go to Heart Edge" by Fukuyama Jun, Kamiya Hiroshi and Ono Daisuke] because I like the rock n’ roll-ish melody. D-d-don’t be silly. Really, I like it for the melody and n-not just because those 3 sang it. I-I-I’m not that shallow. :3
- I really enjoyed the 1st episode. Made me laugh a lot~ I even picked up the manga after a couple of episodes.
- Looks can be deceiving? Lol, the characters are all so amusingly flawed. Satou and Taneshima are probably the most normal ones among the rest xD My favorite characters would be Kyouko, Satou, and Takanashi~ ^^
- Watch it? Yeah!
This season, I’m surely following Giant Killing, Oofuri, Maid-sama and Working!!
~ So, which titles made your watchlist?
You might also wanna check out my other posts:
- Anime Preview: Spring 2010
- Anime Preview: Winter 2009/2010
- Year-End Babble: 2009 Anime Notables
- Other anime season previews