Here’s the second and final batch of my quick first impressions on some of the Summer 2009 series.
In this batch: (1) GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class; (2) Sora no Manimani; (3) Taishou Yakyu no Musume; (4) Tokyo Magnitude 8.0; (5) Umineko no Naku Koro ni; (6) Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.
- Cute OP ["Osaki ni sil vous plait" by Saiwai Koukou GA girls]. I especially liked the chorus part.
- Cool, I’m learning more about art as I watch! I never really had much art classes at school, so it’s a good way to learn more about it.
– It’s quite enjoyable. I also like the pace of the story and the adorable character design.
- I don’t think it’s gonna be an episodic kind of series, so you can pick it right up where you left off or even watch random episodes.
- The ED ["Coloring palettes Tomokane-iro"] was sung by each of the girls’ seiyuu. It sounded nice. I think they’d be taking turns for each episode, then maybe sing it as a group later on…
- Watch it? Yep. I’ll be watching it now and then. It’s laidback and fun!
- Nice, upbeat OP ["Super Noisy Nova" by Sphere]
- Maeno Tomoaki (as Saku) screaming around in terror/distress/frustration of Mii-chan = pure win! :3
- Um, is that other guy coughing up blood because he’s anemic? Eh?! ^^;
- I like the comedy of it and the light story.
- ED ["Hoshikuzu no Surround" by CooRie] sounded OK.
- Watch it? Yeah. I enjoyed it. Made me laugh quite a bit. (PS: Saku, I like books more than stars, too. :3)
Also known as Taishou Era Baseball Girls.
- Upbeat OP [ "Romantic Strike" by Kanae Ito, Mai Nakahara, Kana Ueda and Mamiko Noto], sounded nice.
- Reminded me a lot of a movie called “A League of Their Own” (which I thought was alright), so I decided to check this series out.
- Nice ED ["Yume Miru Kokoro" by Kanae Ito]. Pretty catchy beat.
- Watch it? Hmm. Looks like it might get interesting. I’ll check out a couple more episodes.
- Pretty good OP ["Kimi no Uta" by abingdon boys school], and from the sound of it, I knew it was ABS right away.
- Well, from the title itself, I knew it was bound to be dramatic. I was almost in tears by the end of the episode. Earthquakes and other disasters are really scary. >_<
– Mirai kinda reminds me of myself when I was about her age (and sometimes even now?), except the phone alien part. I only use my cell phone when necessary.
- Good storytelling and pace. It’s a Bones production, so the animation is done quite well. The character design somewhat reminded me of Spirited Away.
- The ED ["M/elody" by Shion Tsuji] is pretty good, too.
- Watch it? I will, but it’d probably be best to watch this once all the episodes are in to get a good flow of the story and the emotional intensity it brings (no pun intended ;P).
Also known as When Seagulls Cry; When They Cry — Seagulls.
- Not your usual OP ["片翼の鳥 (One-Winged Bird)" by Shikata Akiko]. I think it fits well with the premise of the story. Adds to the mysterious and dark atmosphere.
- I’ve never seen any of the previous When They Cry series, so no comment about differences or similarities or whatever.
- Since the synopsis says the characters get killed one by one, been wondering (and somewhat anticipating?) who goes first while watching the episode.
– Hmm, so everything happens overnight? Kinda reminds me of the TV show 24 in that aspect.
- Maria is such a creepy little girl. o_O
– Not your usual ED ["la divina tragedia ~Makyoku~" by Jimang] either. I liked the guitars. Vocals, not so much.
- Watch it? I think I will. I’m curious about the case.
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei’s 3rd season.
- Same artist for the OP ["Ringo Mogire Beam!" by Kenji Ootsuki and Zetsubou Shoujotachi]. I only liked the chorus part, though. I think the previous season’s OPs were better.
- Didn’t really watch the episode in its entirety as I still haven’t finished watching season 2. I just wanted to check out the OP and ED parts.
- Very nice ED ["Zetsubou Restaurant" by Zetsubou Shoujotachi]. I love how it has a touch of Spanish sound in it. I think it’s my favorite ED among all its previous EDs.
– Lol, Zetsubou sensei drawing song = win.
- Watch it? ZETSUBOUSHITA! I’ll catch up with season 2 and the OVAs first, so I’ll be picking this one up later.
You might also wanna check out my other posts: