So, um, yeah. I simply couldn’t resist doing some sort of episodic post for EotE. Heh. Anyway, I’ll most likely do it in batches, like 3 episodes at a time until the finale. This isn’t a detailed episode summary, more like a brief hodgepodge of some of the events from episodes 1 through 3 just to keep track of what’s going on in this series.
~ So, with 3 episodes in, what do we know so far?
Episode 01: “I Picked Up a Prince” (Ōji-sama o Hirotta yo)
- A nekkid Japanese guy (he later picks the alias, Takizawa Akira) is walking around Washington, DC, being observed by someone and referred to as “Number 9.″ The only things Akira’s carrying with him are a cellphone and a handgun.
- By chance, he meets a nice girl named Saki (who’s in the US for a class trip) and helps her out of a pinch in front of the White House.
- Upon making a call on his cell phone, Akira learns that he has a lady concierge named Juiz, who informs him that he had his memories wiped, and that Juiz’s instructions were only to tell Akira where he should go next and gives him his “home” address while in DC, nothing more than that. Juiz gives Akira his home address in DC.
- After giving Akira her coat and hat earlier, Saki realizes she left her passport and wallet in the coat pocket, so she tries to run after him. Saki manages to follow Akira to his home and asks if she could have her passport and wallet back. Akira gladly gives it back, as well as her coat.
- Since the cops are looking for them for the little incident in front of the White House, Akira and Saki decide to stick together on their way back to Japan.
- In the airport, they see the news that there was a missile attack in Tokyo… And the story begins.
Episode 02: “Melancholic Monday” (Yūutsu na Getsuyōbi)
- Japan has been hit by another missile, it’s the 11th one, says Saki. So, there are now 11 random explosion holes.
- We learn about “Selecao,” some sort of group that Akira seems to belong to.
- Whenever Juiz is contacted, she always says “Nobelesse oblige. Please continue being a Messiah (or Savior)” before hanging up.
- We meet another guy who has the same conspicuous cell phone as Akira. The guy’s name is Kondo, who’s a detective.
- Kondo is apparently “Number 4” in the Selecao System. So, as Akira is “Number 9,” it’s pretty safe to say that there are others (plus, based on the OP sequence, there are 12 persons in the Selecao system).
- Juiz can do anything the Selecao members ask her to. From giving instructions and bribing airport officials to getting rid of people. Kondo asks Juiz to kill the two men pursuing him, and a couple of minutes later, what seems to be a police car stops by and someone inside the care shoots the two men down (three, including the shop keeper who unfortunately saw the shooting).
- Kondo wants to get ahold of Akira’s cell phone, so Kondo can have the money. Kondo has almost used up all his money while Akira still has about 8 billion yen in his digital account.
Episode 03: “In the Night of the Late Show” (Reito Shō no Yoru ni)
- Akira owns a mall and lives in it! The mall also happens to be near the explosion hole.
- We learn that Akira took that photo we first saw in episode 1 while he was in his swanky room in the mall.
- Kondo follows Akira and Saki, and later confronts Akira as Saki watches a French movie.
- Kondo says that Akira had his memories wiped out at Harina(?) Labs, using their brainwashing program.
- It seems the conspicuous cell phones have a name! Kondo calls it the “Noblesse phone”
- According to Kondo, when the balance on the Noblesse phone hits zero, the “Supporter” kills the owner. That’s the rule.
- Kondo manages to forcibly take Akira’s Noblesse phone, but can’t use it. Apparently, it needs fingerprint authentication before it can be used, especially the digital account.
- Akira got Kondo’s police badge during their previous scuffle. They agree to meet up.
- While waiting for Akira at the meeting place, Kondo’s wife suddenly shows up. It appears that the text message that Kondo supposedly sent to his mistress was also sent to his wife. She stabs him.
- Akira finds a dying Kondo, who declines Akira’s offer to call an ambulance. Kondo tells Akira that there are 10 people just like them with the same Noblesse phones who are part of Selecao, and that they were all forced to play this “game.”
- Kondo advises Akira to find and follow the other Selecao members through the Noblesse phone’s history function, and then he can ask them about his identity.
- Kondo calls Akira a “dangerous” member, adding that Akira rounded up 20,000 NEETs (seen in that photo previously mentioned) near the mall so they’d get caught up in the explosion. He then realizes something, and adds that it was either the idea of Akira or the “Supporter.” With this Kondo thinks it was also the “Supporter” who is responsible for his wife finding him out and then stabbing him.
- Kondo gives Akira his Noblesse phone and asks him to run from the scene. Before Kondo dies, he mutters that even he was also trying for justice in the beginning.
Impression: What the heck is this Selecao group/organization? I wonder if the Selecao people have anything to do with the missiles hitting Japan? Why does Juiz call them “Messiahs”? Who and what are they supposed to be saving? Is noblesse oblige supposed to be their motto or something? Or perhaps a reminder for the Messiahs about their noble mission? What could their mission be?
It also seems that whenever you ask big favors from Juiz, she’s free to access the Noblesse phone holder’s digital account and use the money to fulfill their request… I think. Like when Akira asked to get out of the airport quickly and easily, a bribe for the airport/immigration officials was deducted from Akira’s account, which Kondo noted when he checked Akira’s history (which keeps track of Akira’s movements, transactions, etc.) On another note, I wonder what Kondo meant in those last few words before he died, about him “also trying for justice in the beginning.” What could the goal of this Selecao game be? Moreover, this “Supporter” person must be someone scary, strict and tough. It could be the person who makes the Selecao member’s instructions to Juiz possible. Remember when Kondo asked Juiz to kill the bad guys last episode? Could that shooter be the “Supporter”? I also wonder if there’s a specific Supporter for each Selecao member, because I think it would be kind of odd to have just one Supporter for all 12 members. Or there could be just one. Hmm.
It’s pretty obvious we’d be meeting the other Selecao members one by one as the series progresses. I also wonder how Saki would play out in all of this. Her involvement with Akira must have some repercussions… She and her friends might get dragged into this whole Selecao issue or she might have a different angle of involvement, or both, or maybe neither… Of course, I’m just guessing here. Too many questions, but we’d probably get the answers soon enough.
~ There were quite a lot of stuff that happened, and I might have missed to include (or failed to notice) some of the other events in the last 3 episodes. Any thoughts you’d like to share? As they say, two heads are better than one.😉
You might also want to check out my other posts: