My second seasonal OP/ED themes post, this time for Summer 2008. Again, please note that this list is pretty much subjective. It’s listed as “Top 5″ ranked according to my preference, followed by randomly listed titles as “special mention” (which there isn’t much of in this particular summer list).
~ Format :: “Song title” by band/artist (OP#/ED# – anime series title)
Edit: (09/05/2008.) Added link: Full music video of “Issei no Koe” and “Zero.” (08/06/2008.) Updated link: Full music video of “Fly Away” is now available. (08/04/2008.) After much song addiction deliberation, I re-shuffled my top 5… One got bumped down to special mention and one got promoted to my top 5. I just couldn’t help it. xD
- My Top 5 OP/ED themes this Summer:
– Awesome song. It has a really nice beat and a catchy melody. I love the guitar and drum parts and their female vocalist has a lovely voice to listen to. I’m totally digging this band ever since I heard their other song that was used as the OP theme for To-Love-Ru. I think THYME had their major label debut fairly recently, and it seems like they’re kicking off their mainstream music career pretty well.
On a non-OP/ED related note, the band also has this other rockin’ tune called “The Last Day” which is not used as an OP/ED theme or anything, but was released along with their “Forever We Can Make It!” single, and two other rockin’ songs “Drive” and “Hello” from their first release. ^_^
– I edited this post to add this in my top 5. I haven’t seen a single episode of Xam’d: Lost Memories before I posted this. It was kanzeon who kindly brought this song to my attention by mentioning it in her comment in this post (thank you!). So I checked out the OP in YouTube and I absolutely loved it. This song totally rocks! I’m not really into mecha anime, but this song so rocked that I even bothered to check out the first two episodes of Xam’d, while another factor is that it’s animated by BONES.
The OP song fits nicely with the OP sequence too. I especially liked the intro part as the beat plays with boots tapping in the OP sequence. The song is a mix of electronic and punk rock. It’s a very catchy tune and it makes me tap my feet to the beat everytime I listen to it. I’m hooked on the rhythm. xD
– It’s a pretty catchy pop tune. I really like the melody. Several of her songs have been used as OP/ED themes in the long-running Detective Conan series, among which I’ve only liked a couple of her songs: “Time After Time,” which played as the credits rolled in the 7th DC movie (Crossroads at the Ancient Capital), and this new song.
– It sounded pretty good to me, sort of techno + rock mix. I like it, especially the chorus part. The single is yet to be released with no definite date yet, but I will edit the music vid link once it’s out… whenever that may be.
– I kinda liked his song”Breaking Through” which was the OP theme for Persona Trinity Soul (which I’m unsure when I’ll get past the 2nd episode). Ahem, so anyway, this song “Issei no Koe” is more of a ballad although still a little on the upbeat side, very much fitting for this series. I love the melody. The single is also yet to be released, so I’ll just update the music vid link when it’s out.
Special Mention: (just click on the song title to watch & listen to the anime OP/ED)
- “Wants” by Grapevine (ED #1 – Blade of the Immortal) – since I included OP #1 of Xam’d to my top 5, I had to bump this off my list (it was #5 in my initial post).
- “Aru ga Mama” by Anamu & Maki (ED #2 – Nabari no Ou)
- “Sora” by Hearts Grow (OP #1 – Birdy the Mighty Decode)
- “Guilty Pleasure” by BECCA (OP #1 – Ultraviolet: Code 044) – thanks to psgels for bringing it to my attention!
- “Vacancy” by Kylee (ED #1 Xam’d: Lost Memories)
- “CHU-BURA” by Kelun (OP #8 – Bleach) – I included this because I think it’s still this series’ OP song as the summer season started. I don’t watch this series though, but I like some of its OP/ED themes.😀
Most of the songs are from anime I’ve seen (or at least seen 1 episode of this Summer or heard the OP/ED song somewhere), so I might’ve missed some good songs from series I don’t usually watch.
Which Summer 2008 OP/ED songs made your “favorites” list?